Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Surf Naked!

Thought I'd pass on a few stories from my trip to Assateague Island, MD a few weeks back. Brought two boards and a tent. Lucky me, I'd scored a week earlier with Mr. Bill...

(I'm behind the camera for this one)

...and here I am traveling down to MD to camp out amidst wild ponies whilst tropical storm Danny kindly spins up the Atlantic coast to greet me.

Next morning is head high+ surf and good conditions. After getting thrilled and worked in equal proportions, the next dawn brings waist high waves, sideshore winds, and a largely deserted beach. Still having an appetite for the water, Rebecca and I grab the boards and head down and here's this hippie guy and his girlfriend frolicking nude in the surf under the pelicans. They have a good vibe so we exchange hellos and they playfully ask us why we're so overdressed. Once I realize I don't have a good argument, I throw my board shorts on the beach, paddle out, and ride one in. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it...

Just avoid doing it when there's a sideshore current pulling you quickly toward the more populous end of the beach with families and little kids running around. I mean, theoretically you could have a minor problem. that's all I'm gonna say.

No comments:

Post a Comment