Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Mini Simmons

While in SD I rode a 2nd Generation Simmons shaped by Jeff McCallum. Once I got the hang of it I did not want to put it down. I was having so much fun that even at the point of exhaustion I was still going for more waves. I am now obsessed with the Simmons design and plan on obtaining one for the spring/summer here in NYC. In my research I have found some key shapers working with the Mini Simmons design. From experience I can say McCallum's boards are amazing. I have never felt a bottom turn quite like that and I'm hooked on it.

2nd generation Simmons by Jeff McCallum. photo from McCallum website.


2nd generation Simmons by Jeff McCallum. photo from McCallum website.

McCallum surfboards in France from Thomas on Vimeo.


Another shaper that I have found and who seems to make a killer Mini Simmons is Ian Zamoria. There is a great interview with him on Liquid Salt that is well worth a read. He learned under Rich Pavel and Glen Kennedy so you know he's got skillz.

Mini Simons shaped by Ian Zamora. Pic from Zamora's website.

Mini Simons shaped by Ian Zamora. Pic from Zamora's website.


When it come to the Mini Simmons and the history of Bob Simmons you have to know about Hydrodynamica. The Swift Movement Hydrodynamica Test pilot series are contemporary visions of Bob Simmons surfboard designs from the later 1940's to early 1950's. Here are a couple of great interview with the project organizer Richard Kenvin in Liquid Salt and All About Surf with Rich Pavel.

Mini Simmons, pic form The Swift Movement website.

The Simster, pic from Hydronamica blog.



Check out this interview with shaper Jo Bauguess on the contemporary history on how he came to shape the first Mini Simmons.

No comments:

Post a Comment